Jingshan Park is the best place in downtown Beijing to have a panoramic view of Beijing and the Forbidden City
Information on this page last updated:2016-11-23 17:31:15
|Opening Hours:||Peak Season: 6:00-22:00 (June-August)
Off-season: 6:30-20:00 (January-March, November-December)
|Phone:||+86 10 64021191|
|Best Time to Visit:||April to October|
|Recommended Time for a Visit:||1 Hour|
Jingshan Park, occupying an area of about 23 hectares, is located right on the north-south central axial line of Beijing. It is connected to the Shenwu Gate of the Forbidden City to the south, and faces the Drum and Bell Towers to the north and is adjacent to Beihai Park to the west. Jingshan Hill is 45.7 meters high, and is the best place in downtown Beijing to have a panoramic view of Beijing and the Forbidden City.
As early as in the Liao Dynasty, earth was piled here to form a hill; in the Jin Dynasty, the place was designated as an imperial garden of the palace; in the Yuan Dynasty, it became a palace garden of the imperial city, named Qingshan Hill; in the Ming Dynasty, it was named the Wansui (longevity) Hill; in the 12th year of the reign of Emperor Shunzhi of the Qing Dynasty (1655), it was later renamed Jingshan Hill. Then massive construction was carried out during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1749-1751) and projects such as Shouhuang Hall, Qiwang Tower, Guanmiao Pavilion, Zhoushang Pavilion, Wanchun Pavilion, Jifang Pavilion and Fulan Pavilion were constructed. Jingshan Park is a beautiful and unique imperial garden, and was the place where the emperors appreciated flowers, shot arrows, drank and feasted, and climbed the hill to view scenery.
In 1949 after the liberation of Beijing, the people’s government made a comprehensive renovation of Jingshan Park, repairing and maintaining the ancient architecture, rebuilding hill roads and park roads, planting trees and flowers, and adding service facilities, making this place a hot attraction for Chinese and foreign visitors. In 1957, it was named a major historic site under provincial protection, in 2001, it was announced as a major historic site under national protection, and in 2002, it was rated an AAAA scenic area.
The main peak, Jingshan Hill, 45.7 meters high (94.2 meters above sea level), was the center of the inner city of old Beijing, and was also the highest point then. The pavilion on the main peak, called Wanchun Pavilion, is a triple-eaved golden-glazed tile pavilion. Standing here, people can have a panoramic view of Beijing. There are two double-eaved green-tile octagonal pavilions, one on each side of Wanchun Pavilion. The one on the east side is called Guanmiao Pavilion, and the one on the west side is Jifang Pavilion. There are dome-shaped, double-eaved blue tile pavilions on the east and west ends of the hilltop called Zhoushang Pavilion and Fulan Pavilion respectively. The five pavilions form a beautiful pattern atop of the hill. The Shouhuang Hall at the rear of the hill was originally the place where emperors offered sacrifices to their ancestors, and is now temporarily used by the Beijing Children’s Palace. At the foot of the east slope of Jingshan Hill, there is an ancient leaning scholar tree. It is said that Emperor Chongzhen, the last emperor of the Ming Dynasty, hanged himself on this tree when the uprising farmer army, led by Li Zicheng, stormed into Beijing in 1644.
Featured Attractions: Apart from its flowers and views, the park is also remembered for a Chinese scholar tree that used to grow on the eastern slope of the hill. It was from this tree that the last emperor of the Ming Dynasty, Chongzhen, hung himself. The Emperor Chongzhen took shelter in the park in 1644, when Lizicheng took Beijing for the Manchu who were to found the Qing Dynasty. Having shamed his ancestors by his defeat, Chongzhen committed suicide by hanging himself on the Chinese scholar tree. The tree no longer survives as it was destroyed in subsequent upheavals.
Address: No. 44 Jingshan West Street, Xicheng District, Beijing
Take Subway Line 5 to Dongsi Station. Get out from Exit C and then find Bus No. 101 to Gu Gong (Forbidden City) Station. It is located opposite of the north gate of the Forbidden City.