Yu’er Hutong (雨儿胡同)

Wish List(0) Visited(0)

In the Ming dynasty, Yuer Hutong (Rain Hutong) was called Yulong Hutong (Rain Cage Hutong)

Information on this page last updated:2016-12-19 16:46:01

Admission: Free
Opening Hours: All day
Phone: No
Best Time to Visit: All year round
Recommended Time for a Visit: 1 hour

Description

Wanning Bridge is also named Back Door Bridge or Dian Bridge, located at one of the entrances of Shichahai Scenic Area near the renowned Goulou (or Drum Tower). Built in 1285 during China’s Yuan dynasty, it was originally given the name Wanning Bridge. Since this bridge was located north of Dianmen, which was the back door of the imperial city. Therefore, it is also called Back Door Bridge. In fact, it is stone bridge, which now looks pale but is still in use.

In the Yuan dynasty, Wanning Bridge spanned across the entrance where Shichahai ran into the Jade River and was the starting point of water transportation of the Yuan dynasty. Under the bridge there was a valve that functioned to stop water or allowed the boats from the south into the capital of the Yuan dynasty.
This bridge is a single-arched bridge, being about 10 meters long and nearly 10 meters wide. The bridge is paved by bricks and stones and is a little bit arched in the middle. After witnessing hundreds of years of historical changes, this bridge became quite old after the People’s Republic of China was founded. In 2000, Beijing Municipal Government repaired this bridge and the stone animals above the arch and on the riverbank have been preserved.

Map

Address:East of Dianmenwai Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 北京市东城区地安门外大街东侧

Transportation:

Take bus No. 2, 13, 60, 82, 118

Scenic Pictures